Mike McDowell, Assessor
Email: Click Here
Coeur d'Alene P: (208) 446-1580
Post Falls P: (208) 446-1590

Two Locations:

Coeur d'Alene Office
451 Government Way
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Click here for map.

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Mailing Address:
PO Box 9000
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000

Post Falls Office:
120 E. Railroad Ave
Post Falls, Idaho 83854
Click here for map.

Office Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Mailing Address:
PO Box 9000
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000

Vehicle Licensing

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What vehicles must be registered and titled in Idaho?
  • Generally, any vehicle operated on public highways must be registered and titled. Also, various boats and watercraft are required to be titled. Any motorized boat used on Idaho waterways must be registered.

    Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles if you need to:


    • Passenger cars and pickups
    • Travel trailers
    • Trucks (non-commercial and commercial)
    • Snowmobiles
    • Buses
    • Taxis
    • Motor homes
    • Ambulances
    • Motorcycles/motorbikes
    • Any trailers over 2000 lbs.
    • ATV's (all terrain vehicles)
    • Wreckers
    • Boats/watercraft

    Mobile homes and manufactured homes (usually need a pre-paid tax receipt from the Treasurer's Office)


    All of the above, plus:
    • Snowmobile groomers
    • Rental trailers
    • Pickup mounted campers
    • Commercial trailers
    • Boat trailers
    • Off-highway stickers
    • Utility trailers
    • Temporary handicap placards

  • When must I register and title my vehicle in Idaho?
  • You must register and title your vehicle when you become a resident of Idaho. For the purposes of vehicle registration and titling, you become a resident of Idaho when you have had your principal home within Idaho for 90 days (this does not include your workplace, vacation home, or part-time residence). However, you may declare residency at any time earlier than that and register and title your vehicle at that time. To declare residency, go to the Department of Motor Vehicles of the Kootenai County Assessor's Office, state that you are an Idaho resident, and provide your address.

  • Where do I go to register and title my vehicle in Idaho?
  • You can register vehicles in Kootenai County at the Department of Motor Vehicles, 451 Government Way in Coeur d'Alene or at the Post Falls Motor Vehicles Office, 120 E. Railroad Avenue. Generally, office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

  • What should I bring when registering for my vehicle registration and title?
  • Bring the vehicle you want to title and register.
    You will need to have the vehicle identification number (VIN) inspected. This inspection can generally be performed by a deputy of either the Department of Motor Vehicles (Assessor's Office) or the County Sheriff's Office. All Idaho dealers or law enforcement agencies can do Vehicle Identification Number inspections.
  • Bring the vehicle's current title and registration.
    If the vehicle has not been titled in your name, be sure the title has been signed over to you by the seller and that you have a bill of sale from the seller. If a lien holder holds the title, bring the lien holder's name and address. If your title has been lost, you will need to apply for a duplicate title from the state of issuance.
  • Bring your personal identification.
    This could be a driver's license, identification card, etc.
  • Bring cash or a check associated with a local bank for payment of the applicable taxes and fees.
  • Late Filing Penalty
    A $20.00 late filing penalty can be charged if you do not have a title in your name and you have been living in Idaho for 120 days. The late filing penalty applies to any Idaho resident who does not apply for title within 30 days of the purchase of either a titled vehicle or a titled vessel.
  • County Fees
    For other fees Kootenai County may charge, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • Where can I get more information about vehicle titling and licensing?
  • Kootenai County Assessor's Office
    Department of Motor Vehicles

    Coeur d'Alene Office
    451 Government Way
    P. O. Box 9000
    Coeur d'Alene ID 83816-9000
    (208) 446-1580

    Post Falls Office
    120 E. Railroad Avenue
    Post Falls ID 83854
    (208) 446-1590

    The Idaho Transportation Department
    Division of Motor Vehicles

    3311 State Street (83707)
    P. O. Box 7129
    Boise ID 83707-1129
    (208) 334-8000
    Web Site: www.itd.idaho.gov/dmv

    Main County Administration Building
    Physical Address: 451 Government Way, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83814 Mailing Address: PO Box 9000, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816-9000
    Main Phone Number: (208) 446-1000 Contact Us
    Click here for directions to the County Administration Building and Courthouse.